Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ask a Madman: My Client Wants Me to Copy a Design


Whether it happens in a corporate conference room or in a startup client’s office (read: Starbucks), at some point in your career, someone is going to ignore your sketches and ideas and say, “Here’s a site I like. I want one designed just like this!” A bruised ego is bad enough, but knowing where to draw the line between inspiration and theft is even tougher.

There are times we need to just give in to clients—it is a service industry, after all. As an old teacher once said to me: “If you’re a designer, you will have to follow instructions and inane wishes of clients. If you want to be an artist, then paint pictures.”

It sticks in my mind because at the time he was strangling me while other students tried to pry his hands from my throat. My arguments about creativity and self-respect were naïve… and aggravating, judging by the teacher’s attempt to murder me. I’m still reminded by peers that the wishes of the client are of utmost importance in our line of work.

More