Monday, April 2, 2007

how to survive as Freelance Graphic Designer

I’ve been a freelance graphic designer for about 2 years. Many people wonder how I can survive, because they know that I don’t have big clients.

Most graphic designers, especially beginners care too much about having big clients, big job with big bucks. Well, there’s nothing wrong with that. But sometimes they forget about their capabilities, considering freelancer has to do all work that ideally have to be done by more than one person. The result is that they can’t focus and concentrate on creativity process which is their main job. Therefore they can’t fulfill their clients’ requirements.
Guess what?!

The clients wouldn’t satisfy, and…… they never comeback!

So, what’s the big deal about having big clients, big job with big bucks if you’re only getting once for awhile? In fact, you’re only getting bad reputation by that.

Personally, I don’t really care about the big clients and big jobs. Big bucks?! Yes! I do care. But big bucks don’t always come from big clients. How can I get it, then?!

Continuity. That’s the answer.

Having small jobs from small clients constantly and continuously is more important than having big jobs from big clients once for awhile for freelancers.

During my career as freelance graphic designer, I focus on small to mid-size businesses as my target market. It’s been more than enough for me. They keep coming back regularly because they get their satisfaction from the first job I given. In fact, I got free marketing by their recommendation from one client to another.

Getting new client is not easy, but (trusts me)… to make them keep coming back is even harder. Therefore, treat them professionally and yet personally. Call them once for a while just to say “Hi” and find out how they’ve been doing if you haven’t heard from them for awhile. Create an “open-communication” in order to make both sides comfortable, that way it will be easier to understand what clients need when you get projects.

Treat your clients equally instead of take a side on the bigger one, because no matter how big (or small) your client (or the project) is, they all have the same right: getting what they paid for, rights on schedule.

© Anton Ardjanggi, March 2007

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Thanks for the article.

You can also find freelance work exchange at ICanFreelance.com.

Anonymous said...

You can find freelance work exchange at ICanFreelance.com

Anonymous said...

Excellent Article. I will link to this article from our site. Take some time and check out ICanFreelance.com for any outsourcing or freelance web developers.

Freelance artist said...

I want to be a freelance artist, writer, or blogger but I don't know where to get a reliable job....and the internet is too risky...where should I go for that type of employment?

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.

I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I'll learn plenty of new stuff right here!

Best of luck for the next!

Look into my web site - visit us

Unknown said...

Thanks for informative post. I am pleased sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for. Just I want to say: Thank you!
Brand Activation Australia
Film and Video Australia
TVC Production Australia
Photography Brisbane